Thursday, 3 January 2013

What Licence do I need to run a pub?

Licence to run a pub

Licence to run a pub

To run a pub (public house) you require a personal licence. A personal licence will allow you to sell alcohol by retail under a premises licence for a public house.

How to get your licence

To obtain a personal alcohol licence you are required to undertake a one day training course on the Licensing Act 2003 for England and Wales or if you are looking to run a pub in Scotland the Licensing Act (Scotland) 2005.

After you have completed your personal licence holders training you will need to take an examination on the relevant licensing Act. Exams are known as the Award for Personal Licence Holders (Level 2) or in Scotland the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (Level 5).

APLH or SCPLH examinations consist of 40 multiple choice questions based on the licensing Act. You will learn all you need to know to pass the exam during your training. Once you have booked your course you will also receive a course handbook.

Applying for your pub licence

Once you have passed your exam you will receive a certificate of training. This certificate will allow you to apply to your local councils Licensing Authority or in Scotland licensing Board for your personal licence.

Fit and proper person?

Under the old licensing Act to run a pub you had to be a fit and proper person, in other words not have any relevant criminal convictions. Under the new Acts you still have to provide evidence of no relevant convictions. In England and Wales you must include an in-date CRB check certificate with your application and in Scotland the Police will undertake a PNC check on you when you make your application.

How long does a pub licence last?

A personal licence is valid for 10 years, however in Scotland there is a need for re-training every five years.

The pubs premises licence

Under both licensing Acts a pub (public house) also requires it's own licence. This is known as a "Premises Licence". A personal licence will enable the licensee to be nominated on to a Premises Licence as either a (Designated Premises Supervisor) - England & Wales, or a (Premises Manager) - Scotland. A premises can not operate legally without a Designated Premises Supervisor or Premises Manager.

What is a Designated Premises Supervisor/Premises Manager

Basically the Designated Premises Supervisor or Premises Manager (Scotland) is the individual named on the premises licence as the person responsible for the correct running of the licensed premises. A Designated Premises Supervisor or Premises Manager must give their written consent to be named on a premises licence and maybe accountable should the licence come in to contention. 

How to book my pub licence course and exam

Simply click the link below or on the book online tab at the top of this page. Enter your post code to find your nearest course. 
Then select 
  • Full Personal Licence or,
  • Certificate Only

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments